Felt Flower Design iPhone Case Tutorial – A few weeks back I came across this gorgeous pin of Felt Flower Sachets by The Purl Bee. I totally fell in love with the design but to be completely honest, I’m not really a sachet kind of gal. It did however, get me thinking – I had been trying to come up with a design for a iPhone case and preferably something out of felt… bingo, the felt flower design but on a phone case. I went into my Adobe Illustrator program and started drafting a template for the design. In less than an hour, I had completed my beautiful new iPhone case and I just love it! I used a gorgeous charcoal grey for the body of the case because I don’t think it will show dirt easily but use any colour you prefer. I’ve also made a couple variations with pockets but you can add any extra’s on that you’d like – a button for a closure or the middle of the flower would look cute too.
- Felt (3 different colours)
- Sewing machine and thread
- Fabric pen
- iPhone 5 template (download here) or iPhone 4/4S template (download here)
- Download template above. I’ve also included a variation to add a pocket if you’re so inclined.
- Cut out template, trace design with fabric pen onto felt and cut out.
- Take your long, outer piece of felt, fold in half (pin the outside edges into place) and use a ruler to find the middle. Lay out your larger petals from that mid point towards the outside so that there’s about .25″ left between the tip of the petal and the outside edge of the case. Lay out the other 3 petals in the same manner.
- Take your glue and put a thin strip along the middle of one petal from tip to tip. Place back onto case into position. Repeat with the rest and then do the same with the smaller petals on top. Really, I just eyeball it to make sure it looks even. Let the glue dry.
- Remove pins, unfold felt and sew the petals from the outside tip of one petal across to the second petal. Repeat with the other two petals so that essentially, you’ve just sewn an X in the middle of your case. *If you’re making the case with the added pocket this is when you’d pin then sew the top edge (closest to the flower design) of the 2 long felt pieces together with a 1/8″ seam.
- Fold in half so that the short side (which will become the top opening) are perfectly even and pin edges of case, sew with edges from the top downwards with a 1/8″ seam.
- Trim off any stray threads, grab your iPhone and insert into case and admire! (please note that if you already have a protective case around on your iPhone that’s quite thick you may not be able to fit your phone in this case – you’d have to make the template slightly wider to accommodate for the added case thickness ).