DIY Fire Starter – I can almost smell it… salt water breezes and the crackle of a campfire; roasting marshmallows and wieners (check out my amazing Bailey’s dipped toasted marshmallows here). Have I mentioned how much I LOVE the spring/summer camping season. Luckily we have the good fortune to spend most of our summer at the beach. It is without a doubt my favorite time of year.
Every camping season my husband stocks up on wood for our campfires and then we usually find driftwood for the kindling but being right on the ocean means that the wood often stays a bit damp – not the best for trying to start a fire. I did a bit of research and found out that lint was a great fire starter and there’s rarely a shortage of lint in our house. I combined the lint with a few more items that most people already have in their homes and made this fantastic DIY fire starter. I have to say that these are amazing – they’ll get your fire blazing instantly (I used these all last summer and I’m preparing my next batch for the upcoming camping season). Start saving your lint today! You’ll be happy you made these when you’re struggling to get the campfire going this summer.
DIY Fire Starter Instructions
- Toilet paper rolls – cut in half
- Herbs – Sage helps keep bugs away (not essential but nice if you have it)
- Wax or parchment paper
- Cookie sheet
- Place wax or parchment paper on cookie sheet and place toilet paper rolls out on the tray.
- Stuff each roll with lint until its pretty full.
- Light a candle, tilt on the side and drip wax into the roll onto the lint (always taking care not to burn yourself or light the roll or lint on fire).
- If you have fresh herbs, place on top of the lint in the roll.
- Roll a sheet of newspaper around the toilet paper roll and tie off with string so that they look like Christmas crackers.
Download your easy to make DIY Fire Starter instructions here.
Looking for more camping ideas? Preparing quick meals on camping trips is easy if you have the right recipes and ingredients. Check out this great book for your next camping trip: 100 Easy Camping Recipes
I hope you enjoyed this post. Check out some of my other posts that would be great for camping including: Double Chocolate Pecan Cookies, The Ultimate Rice Krispie Square, Best Salad Ever, No Bake Energy Balls, Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies, Blank Faces Coloring Page, Jellyfish Friendship Bracelets, 10-Minute Superhero Costume, Printable Robot Coloring Page , Family Movie Night Tickets