As the Staples commercial goes, it’s almost “the most wonderful time of the year.” Summer has already flown by and the first day of school is almost upon us. I adore the summer but there’s something so nice about the structure and routine of starting school again (that’s saying a lot coming from me as I usually hate routine). Last year I spontaneously made a Grade 1 sign early in the morning for Noelle to hold for her first day of school photo. I kept the file so that I could just change the number for her Grade 2 photo and all the rest from that point forward. Since I already had these made I thought it would be nice to share. Just download, print and capture another memorable day in your child’s life. These printable signs are from Kindergarten all the way to Grade 12 (yes, I know that using these signs for the next 12 grades will never likely happen but here’s to dreaming).
Posts Tagged ‘downloadable’
Love Stencilled Pillow – Free “Love & Life” Template – I’ve been on the search for the perfect pillows for our living room for over a year now. As you can see, it’s a very monochromatic room (which I like in this instance) but it really needed a pop of colour. I picked the blue colour from a painting that’s on the wall over the piano on the opposite side of the room. I love the blue vase on the coffee table but I’ve have had so much trouble finding pillows with a similar blue. I was open to anything really but I had no luck. Finally, over the weekend, I found these simple pillows for only $9 each. I brought them home and threw them on the couch – perfect. Well, perfect except that they were kind of boring. I was thinking about adding lace or ribbon but that’s not really our style. Finally, I came to the conclusion that a simple word stencilled in white would work beautifully (and if Michael didn’t like them I would just flip them over).
I picked up some fabric paint, created a template for the words ‘LOVE” and ‘LIFE” in Adobe Illustrator and got down to business. I’m pretty happy with the final result… and it seems I don’t need to turn over the pillows. 😉
- Acrylic craft or fabric paint (I used Martha Stewart Multi-Surface Craft Paint in Wedding Cake White)
- Vinyl (approx 12″ x 12″ for both words) with a sticky/adhesive backing (use whatever extra scraps you have – I used chalkboard vinyl because I have extra)
- Cutting machine or xacto knife (and some patience)
- ‘LOVE’ and ‘LIFE’ template – download svg file, ai8 file or pdf here
- Pouncer (small-medium size)
- Download the printable template (above).
- Cut out your letters using a cutting machine or by hand with an xacto knife so that you have just the negative of the word (see photos in second row down).
- Place the vinyl template carefully over the pillow so that it’s centred and exactly where you want it – smooth the vinyl down so that there are no places where the paint can get under the edges.
- Pour out a bit of your paint and dab some paint on the pounce, whiping off any excess. Gently dab the pouncer on the pillow in the letter space. You want it covered well, but also not too caked on. Complete all the letters this way. Set aside and allow paint to dry completely.
- Gently peel off the vinyl. Once the paint has air dried for 24 hours, go over the letters with an iron to set the paint permanently (put a thin towel over the pillow to cover the painted letters while you iron).
- Place the pillow into position, stand back and admire.