I know I'm a bit of a dork but I get so excited seeing vegetables growing in my garden. The whole transformation from that teeny tiny speck of a seed into a wonderful, colourful and tasty piece of food that helps to feed my family still amazes me every time. Yes, I know I can run over to the grocery store and buy my vegetables but there is just something so much more satisfying about growing it myself – oh, that and it tastes divine straight out of the ground.
Today after work I popped up to the garden to see how everything was coming along when I noticed some of my radishes were looking ready to be picked – how exciting, my first harvest of the year. Now, I have to be totally honest here, I've never really liked radishes. In fact, the only reason I grow them is for my mother-in-law's partner Gary, but they're out of the country for the next month. So, that brought me to my dilemma this evening – what do I do now that I have all these radishes that are ready to be eaten. After some consideration I realized that I could probably just roast them like I do my other veggies. I gathered, chopped, seasoned and roasted and voila, they were spectacular. Roasting the radishes really mellows out the flavour so they aren't so spicy. Note, that's why you hardly see any radishes in the finished photo above – my husband ate most of them before I could get them to the plate to photograph.
This recipe is pretty loosie-goosie, just add a little more or a little less of whatever ingredients you like.
- 8-12 radishes halved or quartered
- 8-12 baby potatoes quartered
- 3-4 carrots chopped into chunks
- tbsp olive oil (more if you use more veggies)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp steak spices
- 1/4 tsp seasoning salt
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Gather and wash veggies and chop into pieces.
- Put into a microwave safe bowl and microwave on HI for about 3-4 minutes.
- Take out of microwave and pour olive oil and all the spices into the bowl with the veggies. Stir around so that everything is evenly coated.
- Spread veggies onto a baking sheet and cook for 30 minutes.
- Take out of oven, let them rest for about 5 minute to cool and then serve with your meal.