Simple Wooden Nativity Scene - This past weekend we finally pulled out our Christmas decorations and got our house looking festive. I always seem to forget all the amazing things we have until I see them coming out of the boxes. One of our favorite decorations is a very simple nativity scene that my mom made a few years back. My Mom is very crafty and artistic… I’m sure that’s where I inherited all my creative genes from (no offense Dad). My lovely and talented Mother has given me permission to share the details of this project with my readers – oh, and she wanted to mention that my Dad played a vital roll in the creation of these nativity scenes; he cut out all the wood pieces. This sweet and simple nativity scene is great for your home and makes a thoughtful and unique gift as well. It’s also simple enough that children could make these too.
- 5/8″ cedar or pine wood
- 1/8” plywood for the star
- Band saw or jigsaw
- Template for wood pieces to cut out - Get Nativity Scene Template here
- Sand paper
- Acrylic craft paint (use whatever colour you prefer – we used, dark green, brown, dark red, cream, pink – you can mix the red & cream, black and gold)
- Paint brushes (mini roller and fine brushes)
- Matt finish varnish
- Using the template, cut out shapes and then trace all the shapes (excluding the star) onto your cedar/pine and then cut out your pieces of wood using the saw. Do the same with the star using the 1/8″ plywood.
- Sand all the edges of your wood until they are pretty smooth
- Starting with the people pieces, paint on the faces and shawls – just keep it a simple design (feel free to draw a little outline with a pencil on the wood first if that helps)
- Paint the star gold
- Paint the edges of the trees, arch and people using the mini roller
- When the paint has dried, glue the star onto the arch
Cover and seal everything with a coat of matte finish varnish
Looking for more Christmas related ideas & projects: Eco Friendly Christmas Ideas, Homemade Preserved Lemons, Printable Christmas Gift Tags, Oatmeal Honey Face Scrub, Reusable Crochet Face Scrubbies
You may also want to checkout my popular Pinterest Boards and follow me on Pinterest. Thanks for reading!