The other night during dinner Noelle decided to let me know that it was superhero day at camp the following day. My first thought was “are you kidding – you're just telling me this now” but after thinking it through for a moment I felt up for the challenge of creating a superhero costume before bed time. I gathered the supplies which included felt, ribbon, elastic and a pillow case. I looked up a few mask designs online and then decided to create my own based on a few that I liked. After some measuring, cutting and sewing I created a cute little costume in mere minutes and it was something that Noelle adored. I'm still a novice at sewing so I kept this simple – as long as you can sew a straight line you can manage this.
- Printable mask template – download here
- Felt (one or two colours)
- Pillow case
- Sewing machine and thread
- Measure your ribbon to the desired length, cut and pin into place on the edge of the pillow case (I used a large stitch length so that I could easily remove the ribbon from the pillow case when we were done with the costume). Sew the ribbon onto pillowcase and secure each end by sewing back and forward to keep the stitches from unraveling.
- Download and print out the mask designs. Cut out the mask you prefer and then trace the template on the felt. Cut out the mask from the felt. If you're using 2 colours, cut along the light grey line from the interior of the mask, trace onto the second colour of felt and then cut out. At this point you can pin or glue the 2 mask cut outs together and then sew around the edge of both the inner and outer mask (if you just want to use glue you don't really need to do this step, I just thought it looked nicer with the stitching).
- Measure the mask and elastic on your child's head to make sure you get the correct size – you want it snug but not too tight. Cut and sew the elastic band on either side of mask (if you don't want to sew you could cut a slit in either side and tie on some ribbon).
- Have your child try on their new costume and say hello to the newest superhero!
Subscribe to Dabbles and Babbles to receive the latest crafts, activities for kids, recipes, printables, tutorials and more – subscribe in the right sidebar.
Thanks for reading!