Best Salad Ever Recipe – This weekend we celebrated Thanksgiving in Canada… I'm still having trouble buttoning up my pants. We were blessed to be invited to two Thanksgiving dinners and for the one at my mother-in-laws house I was asked to provide a salad. As soon as I found out that a salad was my contribution to the meal I knew what I was making, the best salad ever of course. I found this recipe many months ago and it's definitely a crowd pleaser. It's both yummy and beautiful. I've modified it slightly from the original recipe as we found that one way too sweet. There is already so much sweetness in the fruit and candied almonds there's no need for large amounts of sugar in the dressing. I also added the croutons to have something a little salty to help balance out the sweetness. Give this salad recipe a try, you won't be disappointed.
- 1/2 cup of slivered almonds
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1-2 heads of romaine lettuce
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 4 shallots or green onions, chopped
- 1 can mandarin orange pieces
- 1 diced avocado
- 1 diced apple
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup bread to make homemade croutons (sourdough or focaccia bread works well)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp old fashioned (grainy) mustard
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut up about 1 cup of bread into 1 inch cubes and place in a bowl. Add 1 tbsp of olive oil (add a little more if it's too dry) and sprinkle evenly with garlic powder. Mix well and then spread on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Place sugar and almonds in sauce pan or skillet and cook over medium heat until sugar melts and starts turning brown – keep an eye on it as it can burn quickly. Remove from heat and place on a plate to cool.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and finish the salad with the croutons, nuts and salad dressing.
Modified from this original recipe.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe. Check out some of my other recipes including: No bake energy balls, Bailey's dipped toasted marshmallows, zucchini quinoa patties, perfect chocolate chip cookies, marinated feta cheese, mediterranean hummus.
Thanks for reading!